POST 9/11 GI BILL Marines who are looking to pay for their education through the POST 9/11 GI Bill will receive 100% tuition assistance after 36 months of active duty. Basic eligibility is established with 90 aggregate days of service, and those Marines participating will receive assistance for tuition, fees, books, and supplies. You may be eligible for a monthly housing stipend while on campus, and there's even an opportunity to transfer entitlements to a dependent. MONTGOMERY GI BILL Through the Montgomery GI Bill, Marines receive tax-free assistance toward a college degree. By contributing just $100 per month for one year, you can enroll full or part time. Funds are available after 24 months of active duty, and they can be used for studies at vocational and technical schools, or colleges and universities.


Applying for Benefits

You will need to apply for these benefits through the VA website in order to use the GI Bill. When applying you will need:

  1. Social Security number
  2. Bank account direct deposit information
  3. Education and military history
  4. Basic information about the school or training facility you want to attend or are attending now

You can expect the VA to process this education claim in about 30 days.

To learn more about your GI Bill benefits and to apply, please visit:

Transfer of Benefits

You may be able to transfer education benefits if you are on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and you meet the following criteria:

  1. You've completed at least 6 years of service on the date your request is approved, and
  2. You agree to add 4 more years of service, and
  3. The person getting benefits has enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)

To transfer the benefits, you will need to request a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) through milConnect

GI Bill Comparison

  Post 9/11 GI Bill  Montgomery GI Bill 
When Do I Qualify? 90 days active aggregate service (after 9/10/01) or 30 days continuous if discharged for disability 2 yr. continuous enlistment (minimum duty varies by service, date, branch, etc.)
Maximum # of Benefits 36 months 36 months
Tuition 100% In-State Public Schools Out-of-State/ Private School Max $27,120.05** Full Time $2358.00/ month** ¾ Time $1768.50 / month ½ Time $1179.00 / month
Military Housing Allowance (MHA) E-5 with dependents (full time) OHA Rate for school location Online Only $916.50 Foreign School $1833 None
Books & Supplies Stipend $1000 None
How Payments are Made Tuition: Paid to school Housing stipend: Paid monthly to student Books & Supplies: Paid to student at the beginning of the term Paid to student 
Duration of Benefits If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitation for use of benefits. For individuals whose last discharge date is on or after January 1. 2013, the time limitation has been removed. Generally 10 years from last day of active duty
Transferable Yes No
Yellow Ribbon Program Yes No
Degree Training Yes Yes
Non-College Training Yes Yes
On-the-Job & Apprenticeship Training Yes Yes
Flight Training Yes (Max $15,497.15) Yes
Correspondence Courses Yes (Max $13,172.57) Yes
Licensing & Certification Yes Yes
National Testing Programs Yes Yes
Work-Study Programs Yes Yes
Tutorial Assistance Yes $100/month, $1200 Max Yes, after $600 it affects your entitlement

GI Bill Comparison Tool

The GI Bill comparison tool is a useful resource to compare your education benefits at different universities.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program can help you pay for higher out-of-state, private school, foreign school, or graduate school tuition and fees that the Post-9/11 GI Bill doesn’t cover.

GI Bill Questions?

For general questions about your GI Bill benefits you can call the GI Bill Hotline at 888-442-4551.
You can also reach out to MCRD’s VA/GI Bill Representative, Robert Hill for more information at or 619-929-3741.


Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Outdated Browser